We are currently in our last Mercury Retrograde for 2017. I recently held a workshop called, Finding Your Power During Mercury Retrograde, and wanted to share briefly here, some highlights from that workshop and what you need to know during the next three weeks.
Have you noticed during certain times of the year, that you’ve felt -- more than usual - an extra sense of confusion, frustration, extra emotional, technology not working properly, miscommunication and a sense of delay with certain areas in your life? Mercury Retrograde can occur up to four times a year, which means these tendencies can happen that much . Don’t worry, a lot of us in some way will feel this energetic pull and it all stems from the energy that planet Mercury is undergoing right now. Have no fear, there are ways to prepare for these energies and you can ride the retrograde wave. Its time to look at this cycle as a chance of rebirth instead of a setback.
What is Retrograde?
· Retrograde embodies the optical illusion of a planet moving backward through a zodiac or astrological sign when the planet is observed from earth.
A faster moving planet passes by a slower moving planet – creating the supposed backward movement – retrograde. Mercury passes part of its orbit that is closer to the earth and begins to travel to the further side of the sun and from this perspective moves in the opposite direction as Earth. It seems like it’s moving forward, then backwards, then forward as it returns to pass earth once more. An example - Ever notice while riding a train there’s also one alongside yours?
Both trains are moving forward, but one is moving slightly slower which makes it appear that the slower moving train is traveling backward. The same example can be experienced while driving on the road.
Mercury is currently doing this transition and when it does, the areas of life that it represents goes into a waiting period or “resting state.” Mercury is known as the messenger/communication planet and it affects communication between others (e-mails, in-person conversations), travel, signing contracts, starting new projects, technology, automobiles. You’ll notice that your emotions are also heightened and some may feel their intuition is elevated.
The Effects of Mercury Retrograde:
• Miscommunication among those you speak with. You might have heightened disagreements and notice other’s behaviors toward you are rougher. E-mails might also be misconstrued.
• Signing contracts or starting new projects might result in glitches, setbacks or overlooked key items/terms.
• Technology or automobiles might not perform regularly.
• Traveling might become even more of a headache. Slower commutes than usual.
• You might feel overly sensitive regarding areas of your life such as your career or personal goals or your interaction with others.
Ways to Prepare and Survive Mercury Retrograde:
• Mercury Retrograde teaches us to slow down in all areas of life—especially in the areas Mercury represents and for us to look within--reflect--be more mindful of what’s going on. Release what no longer serves a higher purpose for our energies and to acquire a renewed sense of self.
• Mercury Retrograde asks us to take the time to redo or review projects and plans, be more thorough, “finish what you started”, be patient with others and ourselves, be more present in how you communicate with others and the way you express yourself.
• Remain flexible, adaptable to change in plans/projects/goals, allow more travel time to avoid further delays, reflect on the past as a way to see what needs to be worked on—but don’t dwell in the past as a way to put yourself down.
• Hold off on signing contracts until Mercury retrograde is over. If you can’t, make sure to be very detailed in reviewing everything over and have backup plans in place.
• Try not to make final decisions on anything until after Mercury Retrograde.
• Try to be more compassionate/patient with others and yourself during this time—if you can’t–try to establish healthy boundaries until after Mercury retrograde.
The necessity to prepare/know how to ride the retrograde wave:
• You allow yourself from going against the current and causing more friction during this time. By giving yourself advance notice before retrograde, enables you to be more flexible and attuned to the energies that take place.
• When you notice which zodiac sign Mercury Retrograde is in, it better helps you understand the influence you are experiencing from either your own birth month or just the attributes of the zodiac itself. This current Retrograde is in Sagittarius.
• Use this time to see where you have been putting your energies toward and where your true main focus has been lacking.
My Experiences with Mercury Retrograde:
I definitely notice a shift in me during Mercury Retrograde, and especially within the first three days. The last Mercury Retrograde in August really knocked me for a loop and that is what motivated me to learn more about it and to help others. I didn't want to just walk around and say, "Oh its Mercury Retrograde again, time to hide!" I truly wanted to understand the energy taking place and started researching, thus creating the Workshop I had last month.
What I felt back in August was very emotional, sensitive, and a lack of motivation to work on projects I’ve put off. I also notice that things that normally wouldn’t bother me, did during retrograde time. After fully understanding how Mercury Retrograde truly benefits you, I noticed a shift in my perspective for the better. I still feel the pull, but I know why its happening and I don't feel defenseless--I now have an action plan.
The best advice I could give myself and others is to be kind, patient and nurturing to yourself during this time. Use this time to retreat in not being too hard on yourself. If you need a day to be by yourself or even if it’s just half the day—take it in order to do a life review! If you find yourself aware of what you’ve been putting off to work on or to finish regarding career and personal goals---take the time to do it. That might be the pull you’re also feeling.
*Be prepared for the next retrogrades in 2018*:
March 22nd – April 15th (Aries-Fire)
July 25th – August 18th ( Leo – Fire)
November 16th – December 6th ( Sagittarius – Fire)
The key words for Mercury Retrograde are:
If you live in the Staten Island area, and would like to attend and learn more about my next Mercury Retrograde Workshop, please contact me via: email@example.com
Guidance, Inspiration & Comfort always,